Home » DbVisualizer Forums » DbVisualizer » DbVisualizer - Feature Requests

Thread: Explain Plan for DB2/zOS

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 28, 2012 11:26 PM Last Post By: Roger Bjarevall
Gerd Reichinger

Explain Plan for DB2/zOS
Posted: Jul 10, 2006 3:07 PM
   thread.click_reply Reply
doesn't seem to be supported as yet. Please consider to implement it, IBM's Visual Explain tool makes me sick...

Greetings,
Gerd.
mark lawford

Re: Explain Plan for DB2/zOS
Posted: Jul 11, 2006 10:48 AM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Gerd Reichinger
   thread.click_reply Reply
Check this link.

http://www.minq.se/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=1525&tstart=0

I had problems accessing that functionality but it all came down to drivers (and DBVis version of course).
Gerd Reichinger

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:11 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: mark lawford
   thread.click_reply Reply
Thanks your suggestion, Mark, but unfortunately it didn't really help.

I'm using DBVis 5.0.0.6, connecting to a DB2 7.1 under z/OS via a Type 4 connection with the latest IBM Universal JDBC driver (v8 fixpack 11, 2.8.46).

Still no Explain Plan feature for me :( - any help is appreciated.

Gerd.
Gerd Reichinger

Posted: Jul 27, 2006 3:19 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Gerd Reichinger
   thread.click_reply Reply
Latest developments:

I do get the Explain Plan feature when connecting to a local DB2 8.x on the same machine (Windows XP). I still don't get the feature when connecting to the remote DB2 7.1 (z/OS).

I'm using DBVis 5.0.0.6 and I've tried it with various driver versions, including the latest IBM Universal JDBC driver (v8 fixpack 11, 2.8.46).

So is the DB2 Explain Plan feature only supported for DB2 8.x and not for 7.x ? If yes, why? :)

Gerd.
Roger Bjarevall

Posted: Jul 27, 2006 3:27 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Gerd Reichinger
   thread.click_reply Reply
Gerd,

Explain Plan for DB2 is only supported (officially) for DB2 running on Linux/UNIX and Windows. DbVisualizer Personal comes with extended visualization support (aka database profile) for DB2 on z/OS but still it is not a combination we officially support. The reason is that we have limited resources to test it.

If someone have had success running the explain plan feature in DbVisualizer with DB on z/OS then please post.

Regards

Roger
Gerd Reichinger

Posted: Aug 10, 2006 5:10 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Roger Bjarevall
   thread.click_reply Reply
Sorry to bother you again, but I had no luck so far. I want to give it one last try.

One final question: How does DBVis determine whether to enable the Explain feature or not?

(It's obviously not dependent on the Database Profile or the JDBC driver - I tried the same settings for my local Windows DB2 and the remote z/OS DB2.)

Greetings,
Gerd.
Roger Bjarevall

Posted: Aug 15, 2006 8:04 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Gerd Reichinger
   thread.click_reply Reply
Gerd,

The explain feature is enabled by what JDBC driver is being loaded. If you at connect automatically see Profile: db2 at the bottom of the Connection tab you should also see a DB2 category in Connection Properties. It lists some settings for the Explain feature. If you don't see these at all then it is strange.

Regards

Roger
Tim Dudek

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 11:00 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Roger Bjarevall
   thread.click_reply Reply
I can't get the explain button to be un-grayed for zos
Roger Bjarevall

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 11:26 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Tim Dudek
   thread.click_reply Reply
Tim,

Explain Plan is supported only for DB2 LUW, not DB2 z/OS.

Regards

Roger

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums