Home » DbVisualizer Forums » DbVisualizer » DbVisualizer - BETA versions

Thread: Connecting to Sybase IQ

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: May 12, 2011 1:39 PM Last Post By: Freewater
Hans Bergsten

Connecting to Sybase IQ
Posted: May 4, 2011 8:20 PM
   thread.click_reply Reply
Freewater wrote:
Hi,

I can't connect to any of my databases.

"Connecting. Wait..." is all I get.

(I tried the zip version).

After minutes, I get (trying to connect to Sybase IQ):

An error occurred while establishing the connection:

Long Message:
JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.SocketException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server

Switching back to the old version 7.15 works for me again.

Also, after start of the 7.20 GUI, it takes like 10 seconds to display the driver configuration window. I already started typing/using the GUI.

Regards,
Freewater

Thanks for reporting this.

Which JDBC driver do you use, and what does the URL look like?

Can you please enable debugging and post or mail the output for the connection attempt to us?

http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/doc/faq/#4.14

Best Regards,
Hans
Freewater

Re: Connecting to Sybase IQ
Posted: May 5, 2011 8:02 AM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi Hans,

today, I tried to start with my Oracle connection (Oracle Thin):

Product: DbVisualizer Personal 720.1638
Build: #1638 (2011/05/02 13:47)
Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Java Version: 1.6.0_06
Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name: Windows XP
OS Arch: x86
OS Version: 5.1

Long Message:
Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

Details:
   Type: java.sql.SQLException
   Error Code: 17002
   SQL State: null

I will send you the logs per e-mail.

Regards,
Freewater
madhav

Posted: May 5, 2011 5:05 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
Where is the separate thread for the problem "Malformed reply from SOCKS server"?
I'm getting the same error in connecting to any SQL Server 2008 databases. Same URL, user name, password were working with v7.15 of dbvis.

Why is there a SOCKS error to start with? I specified http settings only in proxy settings of tool properties (assuming those settings are used in this context)

Please see the debug window output here:

Product Information
Java Version: 1.6.0_24

Connected Databases

Debug Printouts
11:03:35 [DEBUG Thread-12 G.?] Connecting: dbInstanceName_prod_userId
11:03:35 [DEBUG Thread-12 L.?] Loading class using dynamic ClassLoader: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
11:03:35 [DEBUG Thread-12 L.?] Loading class using dynamic ClassLoader: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
11:03:35 [DEBUG pool-2-thread-3 D.?] RootConnection: Driver.acceptsURL("jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://dbServerName:1433/dbInstanceName")
11:03:35 [DEBUG pool-2-thread-3 D.?] RootConnection: Driver.connect("jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://dbServerName:1433/dbInstanceName", {user=userId, password=userPassword, includeSynonyms=true})
java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:410)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:184)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.onseven.dbvis.c.B.D.?(Z:1548)
at com.onseven.dbvis.c.B.F$A.call(Z:2838)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
SQLException: SQLState(08S01)
11:05:35 [DEBUG pool-2-thread-3 D.?] RootConnection: EXCEPTION -> java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server
madhav

Posted: May 5, 2011 7:06 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
I think title of this thread should be changed to reflect the issue occurring with multiple dbs. My guess is that the underlying cause is the same for all.
Hans Bergsten

Posted: May 5, 2011 7:32 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: madhav
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi,

I'm getting the same error in connecting to any SQL Server 2008 databases. Same URL, user name, password were working with v7.15 of dbvis.

Why is there a SOCKS error to start with? I specified http settings only in proxy settings of tool properties (assuming those settings are used in this context)

The error message comes from the driver, and it is common that error messages from a driver when a connection cannot be made are misleading.

DbVisualizer Proxy settings are not used for setting up a connection to a database.

Please see the debug window output here:

Product Information
Java Version: 1.6.0_24

Connected Databases

Debug Printouts
11:03:35 [DEBUG Thread-12 G.?] Connecting: dbInstanceName_prod_userId
11:03:35 [DEBUG pool-2-thread-3 D.?] RootConnection: Driver.acceptsURL("jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://dbServerName:1433/dbInstanceName")
11:03:35 [DEBUG pool-2-thread-3 D.?] RootConnection: Driver.connect("jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://dbServerName:1433/dbInstanceName", {user=userId, password=userPassword, includeSynonyms=true})
java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Malformed reply from SOCKS server

Have you edited the server name in the log output? If not, is it really called "dbServerName" and listens on port 1433?

One potential cause for this problem is if you switched from "Database URL" to "Server Info" in the Connection tab, and entered incorrect values in the Database Server and/or the Database Port fields. Can this be the problem in your case?

Best Regards,
Hans
Hans Bergsten

Posted: May 5, 2011 7:33 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: madhav
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi,

I think title of this thread should be changed to reflect the issue occurring with multiple dbs. My guess is that the underlying cause is the same for all.

Unfortunately, the forum software doesn't support changing a thread title. Feel free to create a new thread when you feel the scope should be broadened.

Best Regards,
Hans
madhav

Posted: May 5, 2011 8:54 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
Thanks Hans!

Have you edited the server name in the log output? If not, is it really called "dbServerName" and listens on port 1433?
Yes, I did edit the log output to obscure the db names, user id etc.

One potential cause for this problem is if you switched from "Database URL" to "Server Info" in the Connection tab, and entered incorrect values in the Database Server and/or the Database Port fields. Can this be the problem in your case?
I have been using Database URL only so far and came to know that I can use Server Info radio button after seeing your response :) However I got the same error with either of them (after duly setting the server, db names etc)
Hans Bergsten

Posted: May 5, 2011 11:24 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: madhav
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi,

Thanks for helping us figure out what's going on.

I said earlier that the Proxy Settings are not used by DbVisualizer when connecting to a database, but just to be sure that they are not triggered by something we are unaware of, can you please set Proxy Settings to "No Proxy" to see if that makes a difference?

Best Regards,
Hans
Freewater

Re: Connecting to DB2
Posted: May 6, 2011 8:26 AM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi Hans,

I disabled the proxy (which said to use http instead of socks), but it didn't change the inability to connect to Sybase or DB2:

That's the DB2 log.

Long Message:
[jcc][t4][2043][11550][3.57.82] Exception java.net.SocketException: Error opening socket to server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port 50,240 with message: Malformed reply from SOCKS server. ERRORCODE=-4499, SQLSTATE=08001

Details:
   Type: com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.yn
   Error Code: -4499
   SQL State: 08001
Roger Bjarevall

Re: Connecting to DB2
Posted: May 6, 2011 4:42 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Freewater
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi,

We are really puzzled with this SOCKS problem and are hunting high and low to find out what causes it.

In the installation directory for the EA version there is a dbvisgui.bat script. This is an alternative script used to launch the DbVisualizer GUI. To run it, open a DOS shell and then navigate to the installation directory. Enter dbvisgui.bat at the prompt and run it.

In DbVisualizer connect the failing connection(s). What result do you get?

Regards

Roger
madhav

Posted: May 6, 2011 4:54 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
I'm getting the same SOCKS error (Malformed reply from SOCKS server) with dbvisgui.bat.
Disabling proxy didnt have any effect on the apps launched using regular dbvis and this dbvisgui.bat file, as I got the same error again. We are behind a corporate firewall.

at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC2.<init>(ConnectionJDBC2.java:410)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3.<init>(ConnectionJDBC3.java:50)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:184)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at com.onseven.dbvis.c.B.D.?(Z:1548)
at com.onseven.dbvis.c.B.F$A.call(Z:2838)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
SQLException: SQLState(08S01)
Roger Bjarevall

Posted: May 6, 2011 5:12 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: madhav
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi,

Thanks for testing it out.

May I also ask you to email the settings that appear in Help->About->System Properties? In the grid right click menu, select "Select All" and then "Copy Selection as Text". Paste the data into an email along with your dbvis.xml file attached. It is located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.dbvis\config70\dbvis.xml

Send it to support at dbvis dot om

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Roger
madhav

Posted: May 6, 2011 5:36 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Roger Bjarevall
   thread.click_reply Reply
I sent the files to the email id you suggested.

Could it be a problem if I have both dbvis 7.15 and EAP versions installed?

I have not overriden anything except giving the command line argument -prefsdir C:\java\db\dbvis-prefs-backup\.dbvis for EAP version, and a different prefs directory for 7.15 version.

Thanks Roger :)

Edited by: madhav on May 6, 2011 5:57 PM

Edited by: madhav on May 6, 2011 5:57 PM
Hans Bergsten

Posted: May 6, 2011 8:14 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: madhav
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hi all,

I believe we have found the problem, please see this thread:

http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=3442

Thanks for you help.

Best Regards,
Hans
Freewater

Posted: May 12, 2011 1:39 PM    global.in_response_to.tooltip in response to: Hans Bergsten
   thread.click_reply Reply
Hans,

it works with 720.1640. Thanks for the fix.

Regards,
Freewater

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums